• Resting place of former Commandant-General of the Transvaal Piet Joubert and his wife, Hendrina.
• The mausoleum is open for public viewing, although only reachable via a private gravel road linking the local farms with the main road from Volksrust.
• Paul Kruger and Piet Joubert were the two main political and military “strong men” of the Transvaal, although Joubert had his own following.
• He died from natural causes at the start of the South African War of 1899-1902 at the age of 69.
• Hendrina Joubert died in 1916 at the age of 85.
• She was known as “Vreeslose Drienie” because of her courageous acts while supporting her husband. Especially when she alerted her husband about the British’ position at Majuba Hill.
This article was copied from and used with the very kind and generous permission of the RoadTripRSA App, also known as www.roadtriprsa.co.za of which the app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store and also from the Apple Store.